Wednesday, April 6

Tuesday Quote (also:Congrats, Madre, for finishing!)

The Madre and I finished watching the movie Middlemarch, which I believe is a very accurate portrayal of the book. I haven't read the book, but Madre did! And it is a THICK book. Congrats to all those at church who read it last (?) summer. The movie is good - I may read the book, now that I know who is who (always the hardest part of classic books.)

Regardless of reading or not reading it, the end quote of the book is wonderful, for two reasons: First is that I believe the statement is very true, and second is that The "Park" closest to the Artist's house is a cemetary, where we've wandered for hours looking at forgotten and unvisited gravestones, thinking on our own mortality and our hidden, (hopefully) faithfully-lived lives.

So, here is a great Tuesday Quote On Wednesday:

But the effect of [Dorothea's] being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

No comments:

With octaves of a mystic depth and height