Friday, March 25

What a Beautiful Day

Well, it's four days off from both jobs - Sleeping in, long showers, Lazy mornings. Divine Miss M has a trademark on these days. I'm not sure there's anyone in the world who does a better job at enjoying these, so I call them "M mornings." She's presently home, so we're heading out to lunch today.

As I looked outside at the quickly fading snow, I thought, "What a great Day! Sunshine and snow...so beautiful!" Then I thought about what day it is. I have today off because it's Good Friday. Today is our rememberance of the day that Christ suffered.

And last night, I had a hit-close-to-home opportunity to see just WHY he suffered. In my own pride and "must have it this way" I began a diatribe to myself of "Oh, what I just wouldn't say if...!" I planned my sin.

I planned my own sin. What a horrible thing to do, and yet it struck me how easy it was. Likely the only reason it struck me was that I was sitting there sinning and planning sin 30 SECONDS before I went to God to spend time with him (I do devotions at night.)

And so it came home: What a great God we have. What an amazing Savior. Because those things I was letting spill out of my heart and mouth, those were the very things that sent and kept Christ on that cross. I can't assuage my guilt by saying "he was dying for a lot of people." No, he was there for me. And that is a humbling, wonderful and terrifying thing to think about.

But his suffering and death is the very thing that allows me to look out on this day and think, "I'm going to lunch with one of the best friends a girl could have, enjoying the wet, bright day, looking forward to the time I can thank God for sending Jesus, along with my brothers, sisters and family tonight."

What a Beautiful Day.

No comments:

With octaves of a mystic depth and height