Tuesday, June 21

Since 1991

My current "woo-hoo!" file contains this Read Through the Bible for Shirkers and Slackers." (via Megan via Anne) Yes, I not-so-proudly state that I am, indeed, a Bible reading shirker and slacker. I'm your typical "Start in Genesis and read through about Cain and Abel and then get distracted by some other thing and forget that I even tried to start reading through it" person.

On a really sad, pathetic note: the Monument (or "gravestone") to one of my first attempts still resides in my first Bible. At the beginning of each book of the Bible, they split it into easy-to-get-through sections with little check boxes. Oh, that wonderful sense of accomplishment! Within your very grasp - simply check the box off when you've finished it! (heh. right.)

Well, I think I started in 2nd Corinthians. I KNOW I got through Chapter 3, checking off the boxes with perfect little checkmarks. The reason I know I got through Chapter three? All those little empty boxes I didn't check off stare at me, forlorn. Unchecked. Since 1991.

So, I'm quite proud of myself that I've made it through a week of this present Read Through the Bible schedule. Yes, I almost fell asleep during Romans (Saturday night, reading right around 11:30 PM) But I've made it through all of them this week, so far.

The best part is knowing that if you miss a day, you're not really behind. In fact, you don't ever really have to "catch up." I recommend you read the article Margie wrote to go with the schedule ("Still Winter, 2002"). It's really humorous, and it might even inspire you to read through the Bible, too.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I wrote more about discovering the Ransom Fellowship folks here: http://megan.navstaff.com/index.php?p=106 last October (you can get their newsletters for free and they are GREAT!!!)

My favorite line from Margie's article with the reading program is this: “I knew it was going to take me longer than a year. And, after all, what is so inspired about doing it in a year? Nothing.”

Glad you found them too!

Hannah said...

That's exactly the phrase that sold me, too! :)

And it does give freedom - I mean, what IS so inspired about 365 days?

Although, If I could, I would do the chronological Read-through-the-Bible plan. I just know that is too much for me to bite off.

With octaves of a mystic depth and height