Tuesday, February 22

Talk about Common Grace!

I met two new people on Saturday. Both asked me out on a date, but the second one I didn't accept, because it was from a 5-year-old girl who knew me all of 20 minutes while sitting behind me at a basketball game.

Her name is Payton, as in Manning. And she is a doll of a little girl - very smart - "Whip smart" her aunt said. A little tiny thing (I'm a sucker for little kids - the ones that are smaller than the rest of their age group) with a black sweater, yellow and black plaid skirt with cutie little knee high boots. She subconsciously moves her hair behind her ears and leans forward in anticipation when she talks. She's five!

Oh, and every few minutes - a little tap on my shoulder - with something like! the tiny kitten her cousin had! and they named him Lewis for "Lewistown" where they found him, and, and, and!

By the end, I had taught her how to cheer for the team (sitting two bleachers below) in her tiny little voice: "Good joooobbb Toooommmm! Goood Jooooobbbb Brett!" (Kudos for Brett for turning around and flashing the sweetest high school boy smile at a little girl and making her night), she'd "practiced" the Majorette routine with the girls, and once again offered a free dinner (of course without asking the proper "authorities!")

The remark over and over from her aunt and uncle? "You missed your calling! You should have been an elementary school teacher"! (If you know me, you know what crazy laughter went through my head!) Also with the "Threat/compliment" that they were going to hire me as a full time nanny!

Chalk that up to teaching Sunday School. You want to learn how to engage little kids? Teach 'em! And is there anything better to teach them than how great and big and powerful is our God?

Well, unfortunately, it was the last home game for the basketball team. So I likely won't see her again until she's 6 (in October, as I found out within 1 minute of conversation with her). But I did catch her address from her aunt - and as I know the Majorette Coach, little Payton might just get her wish of being a majorette - or at least a picture!

To end, I gave my brother this piece of advice "Bro, it doesn't matter if she's 5 or 25 - if you want to get a girl to like you, just compliment her on her clothes!"

What started all this? "Oooh! I like your skirt!"

No comments:

With octaves of a mystic depth and height