Thursday, July 14

A movie I'm not necessarily recommending

I watched Before Sunrise last night - finished it before it needed to go back.

And actually, I'm not recommending it at all. A few reasons why: I watched all of it, but for the last quarter or so, I took my contacts out, and being as I couldn't find my glasses, I listened to the dialogue. Yup, I'm fairly blind. I can't really tell you for sure or not whether there was anything offensive. If there WAS an offensive scene, there was little sound to suggest so.

But it's a movie mostly about two people telling each other what they think. None of you will be surprised to know that it's mostly worldly blather. But there were two quotes I really liked.

Jesse: You know what's the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you? Is when you remember how little you thought about the people you broke up with and you realize that is how little they're thinking of you. You know, you'd like to think you're both in all this pain but they're just like 'Hey, I'm glad you're gone'.

(Responding to Celine's contention that conflict isn't all bad, that there are good things that come out of conflict)
Jesse: I don't know, I think that if I could just accept the fact that my life is supposed to be difficult - You know, that's what to be expected -then I might not get so pissed off about it and I'll just be glad when something nice happens.


Anyway, the first one I liked because -ha!- it's so true. The second one I like because it seems to me that Americans are in denial about the difficulty of life. Jesse says it perfectly. Even as he's saying it, you can tell he's not going to actually let his lower his expectations for an easy, conflict-free life.

And, yeah. Even though I'm not overwhelmed with Before Sunrise, I'll probably watch Before Sunset. Roll your eyes now.

No comments:

With octaves of a mystic depth and height