Tuesday, October 9

Friend

It’s easy to say that you have a lot of friends. But what you mean is “I have a lot of people in my life that I am pleasant to, and they are pleasant to me.”

That’s not friendship. It’s nice, but it’s not quite friendship.

There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. Prov 18:24

Want to know what that looks like in 2007? It looks like a phone call to a friend, in a city you haven’t lived in for 5 years. A phone call to your pregnant friend at 10:30 at night. “Tones, it’s me. My sister is stranded at the airport.”

Immediate response: “Do you want me to pick her up?”

I think I saw this friend in September 2006. Maybe for a day. I haven’t seen her in a year, and I haven’t talked to her for a few months.

“Do you want me to pick her up” are words of a friend. I don’t even know if my friend and sister had met, really interacted, before last night. After I had made the initial connection, she called me back and we talked while she drove down to the airport.

There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. I’ve always been taught that this Proverb is about Jesus. And it is.

And my friend was reflecting him and his compassion last night. And I am so grateful to my Lord for providing a wonderful sister on one hand and a wonderful friend on the other – a friend who is willing to help me and my family when we needed it.

Thank you, Tones.

No comments:

With octaves of a mystic depth and height